Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Living your dream...Teaching Social Media

So what have you always wanted to do with you life in terms of work and career? Are you living that dream you once had, or are you still working your way toward it?


Ever since I can remember, I have always wanted to teach. First I had my publicity and marketing classes in which I helped authors, writers, and other small business professionals learn how to promote themselves to media. Then, as things changed over the last few years, I've helped movers and shakers create a shining online presence through video, audio, and the written word. I still do this work and consider myself very lucky to be doing what I love, and making a living at it. Let's face it: We are living in challenging times.


But the greatest teaching opportunity for me is teaching at my alma mater,
Marylhurst University. This week, another class filled with students who want to learn about social media has begun and the challenge of helping them to understand the power of this medium and how it may enhance their lives is underway. We also explore the challenges it presents in terms of privacy and other important issues.


They don't know this yet, but I know that by the end of this class we will have developed a very close-knit group of individuals who really care about one another. For all the discussion that social media is impersonal (and it can be), and that it's a time suck (and it can be), and that it serves no real purpose (depends on the individual), we will have gotten past many of these objections to see what truly wonderful opportunities these communication channels offer us. We will have many discussions about the effect on our culture and in each of our lives.


Will social media replace face-to-face contact? No, but it can be a great alternative when you are away from family, friends, or those you work with because they're scattered in other parts of the world.


It's also a wonderful medium for small business people, entrepreneurs, writers, authors, coaches, consultants, etc., to share with their audience what they do and how they can help them.


I believe living your dreams is a big part of why we are here. What are you doing that is a part of your dream? For me, it's teaching. Always has been. Always will be.

Joanne

P.S. I offer tips and suggestions on how you can develop and polish your own online presence at www.facebook.com/themediapolisher. Would love to see you there.

No comments: